Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Getting started!

I am pleased to report that both students and teachers seem to have come through the first day relatively unscathed! I have been extremely excited to meet my new classes, and they all seem great! Many of the students were surprised to see me instead of Mr. Butchbaker as their teacher, but they seem to have adapted quickly. It is wonderful to be able to talk to them about projects and interesting activities rather than just dry-as-dust paperwork/textbooks/worksheets!

Veterinary Science students will be getting their smocks and computers tomorrow, and we will start learning to navigate the online system. I hope to be able to support them as they learn to use this powerful tool, so that they are feeling confident by the time they need to work independently. They also seemed enthusiastic about participating in HOSA and FFA activities, and I think I am already seeing some solid leadership traits emerging.



Wildlife and Natural Resources spent part of their class period brainstorming about what specific things they would like to learn and do in the course this year; with this background, I hope to be able to connect required content to students' various areas of interest. I hope to help them learn a great deal in an engaging and exciting way. Their topic list included: animals in general, decreasing human impact on the environment, aquatic wildlife, plant genetics, African wildlife (which I know a LOT more about since August!), invasive species, birds, growing plants, genetics and genetic engineering, reptiles and amphibians, CWD in deer, eco-friendly alternatives, Bigfoot, Sasquatch and other legends, decreasing waste/recycling, animal sociology and hybrid species. Organized and applied, I think this is a pretty great list to begin with, and should get us moving ahead.

My Horticulture students all seem very interested and eager to get started, so after we reviewed the required paperwork, I got them working on their first project (yep, already!). They went outside and observed the area south of the greenhouse that needs re-landscaping. When we came in, they drew an approximate scale diagram to calculate materials, and made lists of materials and began to outline the process they will use to carry out the project. At first they seemed a little startled that I wasn't just feeding them questions but allowing them to come up with them for themselves, but they quickly caught on and began to really think about what they would be doing. I am also thrilled to have a second-year independent study horticulture student who can both help with leadership and pursue his own interests and projects. He is interested in setting up the hydroponics and/or aquaponics, which would be super, since I won't have much time to figure it out. He seems to have a great deal of initiative and willingness to be a leader!



Afternoon Animal Technology students seemed a little quiet today, but at the end of class many of the students approached me to initiate conversation, which I appreciated. Several of them want to participate actively in FFA, and a few possibly in HOSA as well. They have already assumed afternoon animal care responsibilities, and seem interested in the pollinator project.




Mrs. First seemed to get along extremely well with her morning Animal Tech and Animal Science classes. She is organized, positive and able to take initiative and get things done, which I really appreciate! She also comes from an FFA background, which is ideal for our situation! And Mrs. Hayman is actively working to support students already, so I think all will have exceptional access to the curriculum this year!

We hope to visit the pollinator habitat next week; I understand that the buckwheat is mostly finished blooming, but the pollinators are still thick, and the honeybees are producing large amounts of honey! We will also be signing up students to participate in the meat chicken project with FFA, and taking registrations for FFA national ConventionMichigan FFA Fall Conference, HOSA Officers training, and HOSA Membership Leadership Conference! I hope that we get lots of participation from both the KRESA south (countywide) and Vicksburg chapters!


No comments:

Post a Comment